Top 10 SSL Certificates Providers in 2020
Running an online business is not an easy job. A strong reputation on the e-commerce market depends a lot on the quality and the prices of the products, but before a company can present what they offer to customers, they need to make sure the security of their website works accordingly. Every online page is susceptible to cyberthreats of all kinds, such as: ransomware attacks; phishing attacks; malware infiltration; breach of data; edge computing or botnets. Consequently, security is a necessity.
Secured Socket Layer (SSL), just like Transport Layer Security (TLS), is a cryptographic security protocol that encrypts the connection between a web browser and a web server making sure the connection is secured (HTTPS). In order to make the website of an online business secure, you will need an SSL certificate. Secured sites have a padlock icon in front of their URL address and this will also show HTTPS instead of HTTP.
There are various types of SSL certificates:
- Domain Validation (DV): designed for small businesses; the installation can take between a few minutes or a few hours.
- Organization Validation (OV): designed for medium-sized businesses; the installation can take up to a few days.
- Extended Validation (EV): designed for companies dealing with money transactions; the installation can even take up to weeks.
Customers will know if a website uses a Domain Validated or an Organizational Validated SSL certificate because before their URL address, they get the message Secure. If a company uses extended validated SSL certificate, the name of the company will show in green color ¬– the green bar.
There are different certification levels:
- Single: for one domain; designed for small to medium-sized businesses;
- Wildcard: for one domain and all its sub-domains; designed for medium-sized businesses;
- Multi-Domain: for multiple domains; designed for large businesses.
Global websites are in constant development and the increase of data sharing over the internet makes it important that online businesses use high security. Credit card transactions, data transfer between devices, file transfers or web forms are only a few mentions that can be hacked if the connection is not secured.
In order to choose a good SSL provider, then certificate, customers should take into consideration elements, such as:
- Encryption certificate validation type;
- Trust site seal;
- Warranty policy;
- Issuance time;
- Security level;
- Browser compatibility;
Because there are many SSL providers on the web (we list over 850 web hosting providers selling SSL certificates) and choosing and compare the best cheap SSL Certificate providers might be a little confusing, we recommend you to review our top 10 web hosting SSL providers for 2020. We considered for this list Alexa Ratings, Authority, Trust, Customer Reviews & Prices.
GoGetSSL is an SSL provider that offers a wide range of security certificates with prices as low as $3.11 per year. There are several categories to choose from:
– Domain Validated: certificate time issuance usually takes 5 minutes, some being issued within 8 minutes. There is also an option of a free SSL certificate here;
– Business Validated: certificate time issuance usually takes a few days (2-4 days).
– Extended Validated: certificate time issuance usually takes a few days (2-7 days). The green site seal is also available here. The warranty starts from $1,000,000.
– Wildcard SSL: certificate time issuance varies from a few minutes to a few days (1-3 days). With Wildcard SSL, you have unlimited server license.
– Multi-Domain Certificates: certificate time issuance varies from a few minutes to a few days (1-5 days). With Multi-Domain certificates, you get security for even 250 domains or sub-domains, as well as compatibility with MS Exchange Servers.
GoGetSSL offers the possibility of a refund within 30 days from the purchase of the certificate. The SSL provider offers SSL certificates from top providers, such as Sectigo, RapidSSL, Symantec, GeoTrust or Thawte.
DigiCert is an American SSL provider that was founded in 2003. Ever since they started their activity on the web, they have developed their services. Now, they are one of the top-notch SSL providers on the industry market. DigiCert offers a whole range of SSL certificates indicated for websites run by individuals or companies.
Their SSL certificates are divided in three sections:
– Basic SSL: 24/7/365 support; high compatibility on popular browsers;
– Secure Site SSL: Norton Seal; priority support; checker against malware and antivirus;
– Secure Site Pro SSL: priority support; DigiCert Trusted Seal/Norton Seal; check against viruses or malware; log monitoring;
All SSL certificates include the following: DigiCert Cert central account (certificate lifecycle management); RSA public-key SHA-2 algorithm (256, 384, 512); ECC public-key cryptography (256, 384); warranty policy; free replacement and renewal.
DigiCert does not mention anything about a free trial period or a refund in case customers are not satisfied, but they remain highly popular on the web with thousands of companies and individuals who purchase their certificates.
Sectigo is a top-notch SSL provider offering certificates for small, medium or large online businesses. It has sold over 100 million SSL certificates all around the world including leading global brands. They contributed to the CA/Browser Forum, therefore, their solutions are highly trusted.
Their prices start from $79.00 for the standard SSL certificate (Sectigo SSL DV). As one of the industry-leading companies on the web, Sectigo SSL certificates have unlimited server licenses, browser and mobile compatibility, and the warranty amount varies from one to another. Support is available for all certificates. You can also get priority support but only if you choose Sectigo SSL Ev or Sectigo SSL EV Multi-Domain/UCC. Issuance timeframe varies from a few minutes to one day.
Sectigo comes with the following offer: a 5-year subscription available with every certificate. If choosing this subscription, customers would get their fifth year for free! There is no mention of a money-back policy or a trial period, but Sectigo remains a worldwide SSL provider with a strong reputation.
GeoTrust is a highly trusted SSL provider with good customer support and high-quality SSL certificates. Powered by DigiCert, GeoTrust offers reasonable prices for their SSL options, starting from $149.00 per year.
GeoTrust offers a 30-day money-back guarantee in case customers are not happy with the certificate. They offer a set of features, such as browser compatibility, free reissue, unlimited server licenses, mention of warranty amount or 256-bit encryptions. Certification issuance can take between minutes to a few days (1-3 days). At the same time, each SSL certificate is provided with 24 subject alternative name (SAN) for the security of domains and sub-domains.
GlobalSign was established in 1996 and it has grown to become one of the most well-known SSL Certificate providers in the web industry.
They provide SHA-256 certificates and they can be cancelled or reissued at any time. They guarantee a simple user management with their certificates, unlimited server licenses, warranty, high compatibility, as well as free certificate inventory tool and green bar available.
There is no mention of a money-back policy or a free trial for their packages but GlobalSign remains a great option for organizations or individuals.
GoDaddy is not only an SSL provider, but also a domain registrar and a provider of web hosting solutions.
All their SSL certificates are equipped with 24/7 customer support, SHA-2 and 2048-bit encryption, secure padlock, high compatibility, antivirus checker and malware protection, as well as the possibility of renewal.
GoDaddy also provides a 30-day money-back guarantee in case their packages are not the ones you’re looking for. GoDaddy is globally popular for their hosting solutions and SSL certificates offering customers a great set of features and good support.
RapidSSLonline assures website security solutions by becoming partners with four of the most well-known SSL brands on the market:
– RapidSSL: cost-effective SSL certificate provider oriented towards small and medium businesses; they are mainly issuing domain validated SSL certificates with 128- or 256-bit encryption.
– Symantec: is one of the best website security providers on the web; they provide advanced features; expert support and resourceful tools for website management.
– GeoTrust: one of the largest SSL Certificate Authorities (CA), GeoTrust has secured over 100,000 websites worldwide; they guarantee cost-effective code signing certificates, as well as great features.
– Thawte: this is one of the most reliable SSL providers on the market, operating worldwide and coming with SSL certificates that are equipped with solid data encryption, malware protection and antivirus checker.
RapidSSLonline also provides 30-day money-back guarantee for customers. Their warranty starts from $10,000. RapidSSLonline is a great SSL provider for your website.
SSL.com guarantees great customer support and accessible prices. The provider also guarantees the possibility of a refund within 30 days from the purchase.
Their Basic SSL warranty starts from $10,000 and it is issued within 5 minutes. These come with unlimited server license and 2048+ bit RSA.
Wildcard SSL certificates issuance time takes up to 5 minutes and these improve SEO. Warranty starts at $1,250,000.
SSL/TLD for Multiple Domains are Wildcard SSL/TLS capable and certificates are issued within 5 minutes.
EV SSL gets SEO improvement and green bar is also available. Warranty starts at $2,000,000 and the name of the company is shown in the browser bar.
InstantSSL certificates guarantee high compatibility with popular browsers on the web, expert support, reissue of certificates and unlimited server license.
They also guarantee the possibility to get your money back within 30 days from the purchase of the SSL certificate.
InstantSSL offers a Domain Validated certificate as a free trial for 30 days. Then, their prices start from $63.00 and these are mainly affordable. You can choose from Wildcard certificates, DV certificates, OV certificates, as well as Multi-Domain certificates.
GlobeSSL certificates are designed for businesses of all kinds and e-commerce. GlobeSSL provides SSL certificates from leading brands in the industry, such as Symantec, GeoTrust, RapidSSL, Sectigo or Thawte. There is no mention of a refund at GlobeSSL.
Certificates at GlobeSSL are of all types: Code Signing SSL certificates, Wildcard SSL, SAN/UCC SSL, DV, OV or EV and they come at affordable prices and 2048-bit encryption. Time issuance can vary from a few minutes to a few days. They also offer a free certificate.