ICANN Formalizes Relationship with ccTLD Manager for Iceland
May 6, 2008
- MARINA DEL REY, Calif.: ICANN announced today that it has signed an exchangeof letters with the country code top level domain (ccTLD) manager for .is-Iceland,Internet á Íslandi hf. (ISNIC).
"ICANN has been working hard to strengthen and formalize our global cooperationwith ccTLD operators around the globe and hitting the milestone of 40 is somethingto celebrate," said Dr Paul Twomey, ICANN's President and CEO.
The Accountability Framework program provides two mechanisms by which ccTLDmanagers can formalise their relationship with ICANN.
The first is an Accountability Framework document that sets out the obligationsof a ccTLD manager and ICANN. It also covers dispute resolution and terminationand is designed for ccTLD managers requiring a formal document with ICANN.
The second mechanism is an exchange of letters between ICANN and the ccTLDmanager designed for those for whom a simple statement of commitment is moreappropriate.
Signed accountability framework and exchange of letters documents can be foundat https://www.icann.org/cctlds/agreements.html.
ICANN is responsible for the global coordination of the Internet's systemof unique identifiers like domain names (like .org, .museum and country codeslike .uk) and the addresses used in a variety of Internet protocols thathelp computers reach each other over the Internet. Careful management ofthese resources is vital to the Internet's operation, so ICANN's globalstakeholders meet regularly to develop policies that ensure the Internet'songoing security and stability. ICANN is an internationally organized, publicbenefit non-profit company. For more information please visit: www.icann.org.
Media Adviser, ICANN
Ph: +1 310 382 4004
International: Andrew Robertson
Ph: +44 7921 588 770
| Category: Domain Names
| Source: ICANN : Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
URL source: http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-06may08.htmWant to add a website news or press release ? Just do'it, it's free! Use add web hosting news
May 5, 2008
- STRATO Joins The Green Grid
- German web hosting provider STRATO (http://www.strato.com) recently announced that it has become a member of The Green Grid (http://www.thegreengrid.org), an organization comprised of IT companies and professionals that work towards uniting data center efficiencies worldwide. STRATO - the second largest web host in Europe, according to its recent press release - made the announcement at the Sustain IT Conference in London, UK and says that as "one of the first European web host companies to employ The Green Grid's metrics" in its data centers, "STRATO has taken on a leading role in the industry.""We have joined The Green Grid because we want to create a standardized label for energy ...
May 5, 2008
- IBM to Create Data Center Alliance
- IBM (http://www.ibm.com) announced last week that it is creating an alliance program for independent hardware and software vendors to support industry standards for new enterprise data centers, which are "dramatically more energy efficient, virtualized, and resilient." IBM made the announcement at the IBM Business Partner Leadership Conference last week. According to its recent press release, IBM says "the new alliance with top IT companies around the world will enable clients to evolve to new enterprise data centers while offering the widest possible choice of open technologies."The alliance is targeted at independent hardware and software vendors that specialize in ...
May 5, 2008
- NaviSite Netcraft's Most Reliable Site
- Web analytics firm Netcraft (http://www.netcraft.com) announced on Friday that NaviSite (navisite.com Total Reviews: 1
Average Rating: 1 of 10
Good Reviews: 0
Bad Reviews: 1
Official Responses: 0
) is the most reliable hosting company site for April 2008. Incorporated in 1998, NaviSite provides application solutions and hosting services using its web infrastructure platforms in 18 data centers. The company announced last month it formed an alliance with Intel to offer a range of managed services through Intel's value added reseller community.Coming in second position is DataPipe (datapipe.com
), which made the survey's top ten on 11 occassions last year. Falling from last month's top position as the most reliable hosting company site, INetU came in third place this ...
May 7, 2008
- Absentee Voting Modification to Bylaws Now Open for Public Comment
- The GNSO Council approved a resolution to recommend to the Board a modificationof the ICANN bylaws that would permit electronic absentee voting in certain circumstancesin order to allow Council members who are absent from Council meetings to vote.A copy of the recommended modification is available at http://gnso.icann.org/drafts/gnso-absentee-voting-bylaws-amendment-07may08.pdf [PDF,60K].Currently, a member of the Council is unable to vote on an issue when absentfrom the Council meeting at which the vote occurs. The Council found that thisnot only disenfranchises members from ...
May 7, 2008
- Public Comment Period Now Open for Domain Tasting Motion
- The GNSO Council has approved by super majority vote amotion to discourage use of the current "add grace period" (AGP), duringwhich domains can be returned within five days without cost, for "domaintasting" purposes. The motion, which is pending for Board action, would prohibitany gTLD operator that has implemented an "add grace period" (AGP) from offeringa refund for any domain name deleted during the AGP that exceeds 10% of itsnet new registrations during that month, or fifty domain names, whicheveris greater. An exemption could be granted based on extraordinary ...
May 7, 2008
- MS Doesn't Need Yahoo, says Gates
- Microsoft chairman Bill Gates says the company should have no problems developing its Internet strategy without the addition of Yahoo (http://www.yahoo.com). The search engine giant declined a revised $47.5 billion offer from Microsoft last weekend, just before Microsoft retracted its offer on Monday. Gates, who will cease his full-time work at Microsoft come June, says he had no real part in the company's pursuit of acquiring Yahoo. "The key decisions on that will be made by Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, who took a look at Yahoo and decided that, on our own, he likes the stuff that we're doing," said Gates, according to reports. "I wouldn't rule out some ...